Whenever you’ve been to a dentist in San Antonio, you’ve probably been well informed and likely seen mockups or at least literature regarding orthodontics such as braces or for crowns and dentures—but what about dental implants? Many people aren’t all that familiar with dental plants ironically; even though they are a much better solution that bridges and crowns. Any great dentist in San Antonio will offer this superior alternative.
What Exactly Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a prosthetic dental device that actually replaces the root of a tooth that has failed or decayed beyond repair. Just like a biological root, dental implants are permanently inserted into the jawbone and bond to it just like your own tooth would. They are not visible and no one can tell you have implants. They are used to affix crowns (the part of the tooth you would see) that replace any missing teeth.
Implants are made of titanium which is both lightweight but also the strongest metal which is biocompatible—this means your body will not reject it. That is a very important feature as if something is going to permanently inserted into your mouth it must be compatible.
As one of the top 3 dentists in San Antonio, we heavily favor dental implants due to their high percentage of success among any implant procedure medically available. Dental implants may not be as well-known by patients as dentures and crowns are—but they are in fact superior and in many cases, less expensive in the long run.
Dental Implant Trivia Facts
Dental implants may seem new in the modern variation, but the concept is thousands of years old. Archeological finds in China show specimens over 3,000 years old with bamboo pegs hammered into the jawbone. Thankfully, modern medicine has come a long way and dental implants in San Antonio are light years beyond that and look, feel and function just like natural teeth with some other amazing facts as well.
- They Are Closest Solution To Natural Teeth – The top 3 dentists in San Antonio all conclusively agree that dental implants as they are today— are one of the great modern achievements of dentistry. Dental implants can replace missing teeth without harming or disturbing other healthy teeth. Since dental implants are an exact replica of your tooth cavity, they minimize collateral damage since they are an exact fit, there is no universal implant. So unlike crowns, dentures, bridges and more, there is no gap no crowding of teeth, and no enamel damage from clips.
- The Surgery Is Minimal In Pain – Sure, having a titanium screw implanted into your jawbone sounds very painful, we completely understand. However, the truth is the procedure routinely is minimal in pain even in post-op. In fact, most patients have little to no recovery downtime, going back to work the same day with just a bit of Tylenol. Naturally, every patient is different but that seems to be the routine with about 97% of dental implant procedures in San Antonio.
- Improves Physical And Emotional Well Being – When patients have teeth that are failing or have resorted to dentures or other impairments—life can be very hard. Dentures require constant adjustment, cleaning, and routinely come loose. And with both dentures and crowns, patients have to alter what they eat and activities they enjoy may have to cease. The emotional stigma of dentures or having missing teeth is also quite the motivation for patients to consider dental implants in San Antonio. Dental implants allow you to continue as you always have— doing the things you enjoy, eating the foods you love, play sports and interact socially with no worry that someone will know. The only way they can tell you have implants is if you tell them.
- Durable And Reliable – The top 3 dentists in San Antonio, all report that one of the best things their patients love about dental implants is you never have to worry about cavities again. It should be noted, however, that this does not mean proper dental care goes out the window. You still need to brush, floss and use mouthwash daily to avoid bacteria build-up and gum disease. Dental implants also last for decades if not longer, and since they are made out of titanium, in most cases you’ll never need dental work like that ever again.
- They Strengthen You Jaw – Titanium dental implants also make your jawbone stronger due to osseointegration—in a nutshell, the implant bonds with your jaw and becomes part of your body. This, compared to living without teeth, helps maintain jawbone strength and maintains facial features.
- Implants Protect All Other Teeth – Your teeth are actually protected by dental implants. When getting a tooth-supported bridge from a dentist in San Antonio, neighboring teeth are often ground away to make room for the bridge supports. These supports put a strain on the teeth and they can end up shifting them drastically over time. Since dental implants are supported by the jaw, they do not bother other teeth and actually protect them as well.
Dental Implants At Pearl Dentistry
At Pearl Dentistry, we commonly hear patients with bridges and crowns wishing they had chosen dental implants had they known more information about them. Dental implants overall are just a better overall experience for patients.
If you already have dentures or bridges, have no fear, we can still get you in for a consultation and set you up with dental implants where you can be taken care of right and your implants done in a day.
Contact us today and get you a smile that will last a lifetime!